4 Locations in 15 Years


 My husband and I have lived at four military stations in 15 years. 

We started in the desert. That is where we wedd and began our life together.
We lived in a house we rented from my father. The very house of my own childhood, in fact.
We had our first baby while living in that house. It was the summer and I tell you: it is not pleasant to be huge and pregnant in the summer in the desert! It is also hard to keep active in that situation. When it is too hot outside but the only exercise you can really do is walk. (I happened to be on "bed rest" two weeks just before going into labor)  I learned that being lazy before giving birth makes the delivery more difficult.

Location number two was overseas. My husband had lived in that country before and knew the language which is super convenient when you want to travel or mingle.
My hubby and I were happy to be there and we decided to have baby #2.
Also a summer baby however, not born in a hot climate.
I kept active to the very end of that pregnancy. Hiking until going into labor. This made the delivery smooth and quick. Thank goodness! (After you have a difficult delivery you stress and fear over the next one)

Location three was in America once again. In a cold, windy and snowy climate. Born in the dead of winter was baby number three. The final child.

I was in better shape during that pregnancy than I had ever been. I guess I had learned with each pregnancy.

Being in America we took advantage of there being no ocean between us and our relatives. We drove to visit family often. Our children were use to long road trips in the car. We made it fun. With music for the adults and for the kids, a map for the children to see and hold, activities and prizes designated for certain places on the trip. And McDonald's when it was time for food.

When we moved once more we had trouble getting out of the state. It was winter and a storm came to town creating unsafe driving conditions. Streets and businesses were shut down. We were moved out of our house, staying in a hotel and visiting friends to pass the time. We had been in that city for over five years and the weather had not been that bad since right before we moved there! There had been a huge storm just prior to our arrival that had killed livestock and stranded people in their homes for days.

The storm did not keep us in town. We were able to fly out. And when we arrived in our next location, which happened to be over sees once more, we landed in a place that typically doesn't get snow. It was spring time and the flowers were ready to bloom. But as our flight touched down thick snow touched down also! We had brought the snow with us! The community found the random snowfall strange and we just had to laugh. An entertaining coincidence? 

We will most likely have just one more duty station before my man retires from the military. We have no idea where they will send us but we "plan" (hope) to go back to America.
It is hard to live away from family. It is heartbreaking to raise your children unable to build relationships with their cousins and get to know them. Heartbreaking to not be able to be in the lives of nieces and nephews. To be so far from parents and siblings.

My children, my husband and I look forward to the day when we move back to America. Until then, we experience the communities we live in and near. We make memories. We enjoy where we are at. But we dream of the future. One day, it will arrive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being A Mom